Come Follow Me (Primary): February 13-19, Matthew 5; Luke 6

 

February 13 - 19  Matthew 5 & Luke 6

"Blessed Are Ye"

I can be a peacemaker

What is a peacemaker? 
  • "Peacemakers make any place peaceful, no matter where they are"
How can I be a peacemaker?
  • Use a kind voice and kind words
  • Listen to others even when I don't agree
  • Try to understand how others are feeling
  • Suggest ways to solve a problem
  • Say "sorry" when I make a mistake
  • Pray to Heavenly Father for help getting along

Play a peacemaker game:

 
Give each kid a happy / sad face to use for the game. I printed one for each kid to use in our primary class, and then I laminated them. 

For the game, I read out loud some peacemaker scenarios that I found searching churchofjesuschrist.org (as well as some stories I made up on my own). While reading each scenario, have the kids decide whether to use the happy face (peacemaker face), or sad face. If a sad face was a result, ask the kids what they could have done to make the situation better and be a peacemaker!  

Scenarios:
  • HAPPY - "At recess I was playing with my friends when two girls started bossing another girl and saying they didn’t want to play with her. I noticed that the girl who was being picked on was sad. I asked her if she wanted to play with me, and we talked about the problem. She and I played for the rest of the recess. Then we talked to the other girls, and they agreed to play nicely together the next day. I felt good inside and knew that I had been a good friend and done the right thing." -Nolan Ryan Anderson
  • HAPPY - At school, a friend got into a fight with another girl. I heard both sides of their story and helped them work things out. The next day, they were friends again. -Zale Turley
  • SAD - I got a pack of bubble gum from my parents. When I went to school, my friends saw me chewing gum and they wanted some too. I didn’t want to share, so I kept it to myself.
  • HAPPY - My big sister and I were playing outside and we weren’t getting along. We argued, and I felt bad inside. I went into my house and prayed that I would feel better and not be mad at my sister. After my prayer I felt much better. Soon my sister came into the house and asked me what was wrong. I told her that I was OK, and we started to play again. This time we didn’t argue. -Emma V.
  • SAD - My room got really messy from playing all day. My parents asked me to clean up my toys before bed, but I didn’t want to. I yelled at them and said I wouldn’t clean up. 
  • HAPPY - I sat in my friend’s chair at primary when she went to the bathroom. When she came back, she saw that I was sitting in her seat and she was sad. I knew what I did was mean, so I said I was sorry and I gave her a hug and gave her seat back.

Jesus wants me to be a light to others

Read Matthew 5: 14-16 and pause periodically to explain each part.
  • “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
Bring some things that give off light and have children take turns picking one of the items out of a bag: i.e. Flashlight, glowstick, lightbulb, lantern, picture of a sun, candle, etc.
  • What do all these things have in common? - They give off light
  • Did you know that you can be a light too? How do you think we can be a light like these things?
    • Being a good example can be like a light for others to see
Turn off the lights and shine a flashlight around the room. Invite the children to follow the light with their eyes. Use the light to lead their eyes to a picture of the Savior.
  • How can we use our light to bring others to God?
    • Teach friends about Jesus
    • Be a peacemaker
    • Be a good friend
    • Help someone in need
Hide candles (I used birthday candles and tape) in the room and let the children try to find them. 
  • What happens if we don't share our light or if we try to hide it?
    • We shouldn't hide our light because then friends can't learn about Jesus and they might be sad. They need to see our good examples and feel our love
I taped a birthday candle onto some cardstock paper with the scripture Matthew 5:16 as a handout for each of the kids to take home to remind them to be a light to others!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety. Depression. Peace

Internet Misconceptions About Vaccines

My Experience With Postpartum Anxiety & Depression