Today Is Your Day To Be Happy


We each have our own storms to find shelter from.

The struggle is definitely real when it comes to all of the many trials we are faced with.

Sister Jean B. Bingham said:
"A recent news headline reads, 'Disasters rock the nation [and] world.' From hurricanes and floods to heat waves and droughts, from wildfires and earthquakes to wars and devastating diseases, it seems 'the whole earth [is] in commotion.' Millions of people have been displaced, and countless lives have been disrupted by these challenges. Contention in families and communities as well as inner struggles with fear, doubt, and unfulfilled expectations also leave us in turmoil. It can be difficult to feel the joy that Lehi taught is the purpose of life. We have all asked at times: 'Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace...?'" 1
How do I find joy despite the difficulties of mortal life?
The answer is simply--the atonement of Jesus Christ
"The more we learn about, have faith in, and emulate Jesus Christ, the more we come to understand that He is the source of all healing, peace, and eternal progress. He invites each of us to come unto Him, an invitation that President Henry B. Eyring has characterized as 'the most important invitation anyone could accept.'" 1
Ask yourself 
  1. Do I truly know the Savior?
  2. What is He like?
  3. What does the Atonement mean to me personally?
The Unmoved Rock
"Once upon a time, there was a man who was sleeping at night in his cabin when suddenly his room filled with light and the Savior appeared. The Lord told the man He had work for him to do, and showed him a large rock in front of his cabin. The Lord explained that the man was to push against the rock with all his might. This the man did, day after day. For many years he toiled from sun up to sun down, his shoulders set squarely against the cold, massive surface of the unmoving rock, pushing with all his might.
Each night the man returned to his cabin sore and worn out, feeling that his whole day had been spent in vain. Seeing that the man was showing signs of discouragement, Satan decided to enter the picture placing thoughts into the man's mind such as: 'You have been pushing against that rock for a long time, and it hasn't budged. Why kill yourself over this? You are never going to move it.' Thus giving the man the impression that the task was impossible and that he was a failure.
These thoughts discouraged and disheartened the man even more. 'Why kill myself over this?' he thought. 'I'll just put in my time, giving just the minimum of effort and that will be good enough.' And that he planned to do until one day he decided to make it a matter of prayer and take his troubled thoughts to the Lord.
'Lord,' he said, 'I have labored long and hard in your service, putting all my strength to do that which you have asked. Yet, after all this time, I have not even budged that rock a half a millimeter. What is wrong? Why and I failing?' To this the Lord responded compassionately, 'My child, when long ago I asked you to serve me and you accepted, I told you that your task was to push against the rock with all your strength, which you have done. Never once did I mention to you that I expected you to move it. Your task was to push.
And now you come to me, your strength spent, thinking that you have failed. But, is that really so? Look at yourself. Your arms are strong and muscled, your back sinewed and brown, your hands are callused from constant pressure, and your legs have become massive and hard. Through opposition, you have grown much and your abilities now surpass that which you used to have. Yet you haven't moved the rock. But your calling was to be obedient and to push and to exercise your faith and trust in My wisdom.This you have done. I, my child, will now move the rock.'" 2

 We are not alone
"In His 33 years of mortality, He suffered rejection; persecution; bodily hunger, thirst, and fatigue; loneliness; verbal and physical abuse; and finally, and excruciating death at the hands of sinful men. In the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross of Calvary, He felt all of our pains, afflictions, temptations, sicknesses, and infirmities. No matter what we have suffered, He is the source of healing. Those who have experienced any manner of abuse, devastating loss, chronic illness or disabling affliction, untrue accusations, vicious persecution, or spiritual damage from sin or misunderstandings can all be made whole by the Redeemer of the world." 1
Trusting God 
"One beautiful spring day I left the door open to enjoy the fresh air. A small bird flew in the open door and then realized this was not where it wanted to be. It flew desperately around the room, repeatedly flying onto the window glass in an attempt to escape. I tried to gently guide it toward the open door, but it was frightened and kept darting away. It finally landed on top of the window drapes in bewildered exhaustion. I took a broom and slowly reached the bristle end up to where the bird nervously perched. As I held the head of the broom next to its feet, the bird tentatively stepped onto the bristles. Slowly, very slowly, I walked to the open door, holding the broom as steady as I could. As soon as we reached the open door, the bird swiftly flew to freedom.
Like that bird, sometimes we are afraid to trust because we don't understand God's absolute love and desire to help us. But when we study Heavenly Father's plan and Jesus Christ's mission, we understand that Their only objective is our eternal happiness and progress. They delight to help us when we ask, seek, and knock. When we exercise faith and humbly open ourselves to Their answers, we become free from the constraints of our misunderstandings and assumptions, and we can be shown the way forward." 1
Why is it so hard to trust God sometimes?
It is because fear overwhelms us instead of faith 
President Boyd K. Packer said:
"Shortly after I was called as a General Authority, I went to Elder Harold B. Lee for counsel. He listened very carefully to my problem and suggested that I see President David O. McKay. President McKay counseled me as to the direction I should go. I was very willing to be obedient but saw no way possible for me to do as he counseled me to do. I returned to Elder Lee and told him that I saw no way to move in the direction I was counseled to go. He said, 'The trouble with you is you want to see the end from the beginning.' I replied that I would like to see at least a step or two ahead. Then came the lesson of a lifetime: 'You must learn to walk to the edge of the light, and then a few steps into the darkness; then the light will appear and show the way before you.' Then he quoted these 18 words from the Book of Mormon: 'Dispute not because you see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith' (Ether 12:6)." 3
Today Is Your Day To Be Happy 
This picture was taken in Santa Cruz, Bolivia on my mission. In Spanish it translates to "Today is your day to be happy." 
Come Unto Him 
"In His 33 years of mortality, [Jesus Christ] suffered rejection; persecution; bodily hunger, thirst, and fatigue; loneliness; verbal and physical abuse; and finally, an excruciating death at the hands of sinful men. In the Garden of Gethsemane and on the Cross of Calvary, He felt all of our pains, afflictions, temptations, sicknesses, and infirmities. No matter what we have suffered, He is the source of healing. Those who have experienced any manner of abuse, devastating loss, chronic illness or disabling affliction, untrue accusations, vicious persecution, or spiritual damage from sin or misunderstandings can all be made whole by the Redeemer of the world.
Come unto Him. I testify that as you center your life on Jesus Christ, you will find joy in your circumstances, whatever they may be. Indeed, 'He, only One,' is the answer. Make time and take time to come to know Jesus Christ through studying diligently, developing greater faith in Him, and striving to become ever more like Him. As we do so, we will be moved to say... 'God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son." 1
The atonement of Jesus Christ 
"Some years ago President Gordon B. Hinckley told 'something of a parable' about 'a one room school house' in the mountains of Virginia where the boys were so rough no teacher had been able to handle them.
Then one day an inexperienced young teacher applied. He was told that every teacher had received an awful beating, but the teacher accepted the risk. The first day of school the teacher asked the boys to establish their own rules and the penalty for breaking the rules. The class came up with 10 rules, which were written on the blackboard. Then the teacher asked, 'What shall we do with one who breaks the rules?'"
'Beat him across the back ten time without his coat on', came the response.
A day or so later, ...the lunch of a big student, named Tom, was stolen. The thief was located--a little hungry fellow, about ten years old.
As little Jim came up to take his licking, he pleaded to keep his coat on. 'Take your coat off', the teacher said. 'You helped make the rules!'
The boy took off the coat. He had no shirt and revealed a bony little crippled body. As the teacher hesitated with the rod, Big Tom jumped to his feet and volunteered to take the boy's licking.
After five strokes across Tom's back, the rod broke. The class was sobbing. Little Jim had reached up and caught Tom with both arms around his neck. 'Tom, I'm sorry that I stole your lunch, but I was awful hungry. 'Tom, I will love you till I die for taking my licking for me~ Yes, I will love you forever!'
President Hinckley then quoted Isaiah:
'Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows... He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.'" 4
Are we not all at times... like little Jim?

If we were to see the Savior right now, I know we would embrace him and say:

"I will love you till I die for taking my licking for me... Yes, I will love you forever."

Let the atonement of Jesus Christ be our cure to finding joy in the storms of life. 
Today is your day to be happy!





1. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2017/11/sunday-morning-session/that-your-joy-might-be-full?lang=eng
2. https://bible.org/illustration/unmoved-rock
3. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/2013/08/move-forward-in-faith?lang=eng 
4. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/friend/2002/03/come-listen-to-a-prophets-voice-the-saviors-atonement?lang=eng

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxiety. Depression. Peace

Internet Misconceptions About Vaccines

My Experience With Postpartum Anxiety & Depression